Health and vitality... naturally

Correne Omland ~ Traditional Western Herbalist Student

Stouffville, Ontario ~
spiraeaherbs@gmail.com



Friday, April 16, 2010

My Detox - Day One

Day One

Spring has sprung and the time has come for me to do my yearly detox/cleanse. This year I will be doing a combination of things. First I will be completing Wild Rose’s 12 day Herbal D-Tox Kit. After I’m done this kit I will follow up with tinctures from herbs I wild harvested myself.



So why the Wild Rose Herbal D-Tox kit? Well there are a few reasons:
• When I was choosing herbal schools Wild Rose was in my top three. Because I almost went to this school, I want to experience one of their products for myself first hand.
• I also want to compare an over-the-counter herbal cleanse kit to tinctures I’ve made myself – check for differences in both results and side effects.
• Lastly I wanted to challenge myself. This cleanse kit is not for the faint of heart (or stomach). Since I’ve cleansed in the past I am fairly certain that I can handle whatever this kit throws at me – however, only time will tell.


A note about my diet during this cleanse. Wild Rose suggests a fairly strict alkaline diet to accompany their kit and do not suggest straying from this meal plan. Basically I have to cut out all flour products, sweets and sugar of any kind (including natural sources like honey), processed foods, dairy products and tropical fruit (sugar content is too high). As an additional personal goal I am also going to be eliminating all sources of caffeine as well. To make matters more complicated I am also a vegetarian so that narrows things down even more. Admittedly, I like my sweets. I wouldn’t call myself a full-blown addict, but cutting out sugar will probably be the hardest thing for me to do during these next 12 days.

As Day One draws to a close I am very surprised by the numerous side effects I’ve already noticed.

Hunger – I am so insanely hungry, but honestly I was expecting this side effect.
Food cravings – Chip truck fries, sushi and bubble tea (weird combination I know).
Headache – I’ve had a mild, but persistent headache for most of the day. This also includes an increased sensitivity to light.
Muscle pain/tension – Again this side effect is pretty mild, but noticeable, especially in the neck and shoulder region.
Energy level – This is definitely down. My husband (who is also doing the same cleanse) and I came home for a day of errands and ended up needing an hour nap to recover from our hustle and bustle.
Emotional side effects – Tonight while I was attempting to sew something I just lost it! My hand sewing leaves much to be desired and I guess I just couldn’t handle my imperfections this evening. I threw the sewing down and started blubbering like a child. I got over it pretty quickly and soon after that released it must be cleanse related (I’m emotional, but not THAT emotional!)
Other detoxing side effects – I had a metallic taste in my mouth for most of the morning.


Well that’s day one out of the way. I’m heading off to bed with aches and hunger, but I bet I’ll sleep like a baby.

Until tomorrow,
Correne

No comments:

Post a Comment